Designer Statement by Michelle Lin:
While listening to the compositions I noticed that the use of repetition established a formal structure that drew attention to dissonant chords, creating a sense of fragmented harmony. I used an old copy machine with very low ink to make subsequent copies of the original text, a repetitive process that incremented ink loss with every copy. The results are increasingly fragmented letters that complement the dissonant chords, merging typography and music under similar processes of repetition.
While listening to the compositions I noticed that the use of repetition established a formal structure that drew attention to dissonant chords, creating a sense of fragmented harmony. I used an old copy machine with very low ink to make subsequent copies of the original text, a repetitive process that incremented ink loss with every copy. The results are increasingly fragmented letters that complement the dissonant chords, merging typography and music under similar processes of repetition.
[Michelle Lin is a fourth year Design Media Arts student assistant to Willem Henri Lucas, chair of the department.]